How many of you have little ones OBSESSED with the Garbage Trucks? My kids can hear it coming from around the corner. They all want to run to the door and look out the window or sometimes open the door and watch from the porch. They do the same thing with the street sweeper.
Now that summer is nearly here that means a lot more outside play time. We as parents need to be mindful of these waste management vehicles and make sure our kids watch from a safe distance. Kids are curious and are often temped to take a closer look when the trucks are stopped but sometimes the driver cannot see them. Plus the trucks have many moving parts that could begin moving again at any moment.
Here are some Safety tips that will help keep your children Safe while playing outside.
Keep Children at Play Safe with Summer Road Safety Tips
- Garbage trucks, recycling vehicles, postal vehicles and other package delivery services keep regular schedules within each neighborhood so learn which days these vehicles will be in your area and let your kids know.
- It takes service vehicles about twice as long to stop as a passenger car, so never cut in front of or stop suddenly in front of one. Always keep a safe distance from a truck.
- Vehicles like Waste Management trucks make frequent stops and often back up, so don’t follow the truck closely on a bike, skateboard, roller skates or roller blades.
- Every Waste Management truck is equipped with a back-up alarm. Whether you are walking or driving near one of our trucks, be sure to move out of the way if you hear this sound or see the white back-up lights.
- Keep children and pets at a safe distance from the truck. Never get near or climb on the truck and do not play or stand in trash bins or cans, since you may not know when the truck is coming to empty them. Always keep portable basketball hoops away from trash bins or cans, and never on the street.
- Do not attempt or allow children to help with loading any garbage into the truck. In addition to moving truck parts, debris can fall out of the truck when its contents are being compressed
- Be mindful of smartphone use. Don’t text or use earplugs while crossing streets.
For more great posts about summer, be sure to check out these awesome posts written by my fellow Chosen Chix bloggers: