I am very excited about this post for many reasons. First of all, growing up in Southern California I rarely ever experience anything other than warm weather. So being able to play in an area that is chilled down to a temperature where I would need, gloves, a hat and a parka makes me really giddy. Second of all, I absolutely LOVE ice sculptures. I had a huge one at my wedding and love looking at the intricate design of them.
So on that note, I am very happy to tell you that “Chill”, The Queen Mary’s 2nd annual seasonal tradition is returning on November 22nd and will bring holiday cheer, enchantment and North Pole temperatures to families across sunny Southern California.
Here are a few facts about “Chill” you should know:
- Over Two Million Pounds of Ice is Used to Create the Coolest Place on the West Coast
- It will fill a 14,000 square-foot “igloo” called The Ice Kingdom (housed in The Queen Mary’s Dome).
- The Ice Kingdom will feature scenes from The Nutcracker including life sized reproductions of Clara, the evil Mouse King, the battle scene, sugar plum fairies and The Nutcracker himself, plus a walk-through castle, and three ice slides off a 30’ high replica of The Queen Mary.
- Each ice exhibit is meticulously hand carved and created by an international team of ice sculpture experts from Harbin, China and enhanced with LED lighting to create a visually spectacular experience like no other.
- The Ice Kingdom is kept at a frosty nine degrees Fahrenheit to preserve the ice and event goers will receive parkas to help protect against the Artic-like climate.
CHILL also brings ice tubing to the Queen Mary waterfront. Guest will be able to grab an oversized tube and race down one of the six ice slides standing two stories tall and 100-feet long. A 6,000 square-foot ice skating rink makes for the perfect winter tradition for all to enjoy. Skate rentals are available on-site for $2.95. A holiday village presents gingerbread houses, holiday carolers, the decoration adorned Candy Lane and a visit with Santa Claus. The world’s largest rocking horse and snowman bouncy are ready for holiday merriment by guests both young and young at heart.
CHILL will also feature live entertainment, food and beverages. Pricing starts at $29.95 for adults and $14.95 for kids, and includes The Ice Kingdom and choice of Ice Skating or Ice Tubing. Additional tickets for either Ice Skating or Ice Tubing are available for purchase and start at $12.95. Ice Skating Season Pass is available for $29.95. Lodging packages are also available. CHILL will be open Tuesdays through Sundays beginning Nov. 22 through Jan. 5. For more information, including hours or to purchase tickets online, visit http://queenmary.com/chill/.